Charities and not-for-profit sector
We have considerable experience in supporting the not-for-profit sector in a variety of financial and accounting matters.
- advice on the most appropriate constitution;
- assistance in ascertaining the reporting requirements of the entity, supporting with preparation of the accounts to ensure the requirements of the governing body are satisfied;
- act as independent examiner for smaller charities where there is no audit requirement;
- specialist advice on VAT, corporation tax, gift aid and other areas of specific concern to charities and the not-for-profit sector;
- assistance with the implementation requirements of the Charities Acts and the Statement of Recommended Practice (SORP);
- advice and recommendation for improving internal controls to further protect the assets of the entity and its trustees; and
- advice on the use of trading subsidiaries and implementation of the procedures necessary to covenant any surplus profits to the main entity to gain the most tax advantageous position.
We work with a variety of Registered Social Landlords (RSL’s) large and small, which cover general needs housing, supported housing and shared ownership. Our specialist team can assist and advise on constantly changing housing legislation and good practice standards that regulate this sector.
- statutory external audit and financial accounting to ensure compliance with standards, legislation and good practice, as well as advice on accounting policies and presentation;
- internal audit, from general advice on implementing an internal audit function, internal audit needs assessments through to the provision of a full internal audit service by an independent team of auditors; and
- taxation advice covering corporation tax, VAT and employee taxes.
We work with Publishers to provide an audit service of ABC Circulation returns. We can also provide a returns completion service in accordance with the ABC rules.
Over many years we have developed an expertise in providing audit and related services to the charitable sector.
If your school is considering becoming an academy, we will be able to guide you through the regulatory requirements that come with academy status including:
- External audit
- Statutory accounts preparation
- Setting up accounting systems
- Financial procedures and policies
- Responsible officer role
- Corporate governance
- Tax and VAT advice
Require more information?
If you would like more information or would like to speak to us direct then call us on 01733 343275. Or if you would prefer, ask us a question online.